Credit for Prior Learning
Credits and technical and professional training (T/PT) from an institution without regional accreditation are referred to as credit for prior learning (CPL).
Immaculata may accept CPL credits in the following categories:
- Tested CPL - including CLEP (College-Level Examination Program), ACT-Pep, and Credit by Examination. A transcripting fee will be charged.
- T/PT reviewed by academic bodies - ACE (American Council on Education) and PONSI (Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction) credit recommendations are accepted as T/PT transfer credits. A transcripting fee will be charged.
- T/PT needing faculty review - Technical and professional training programs which have not been reviewed by ACE or PONSI require faculty review. Students complete the Technical and Professional Training Worksheet and provide all required documentation. A fee will be charged.
The number of CPL credits that Immaculata accepts from the various categories is limited. The total number of CPL credits transferable toward a baccalaureate degree may not exceed 63 credit hours. Students are advised to discuss CPL credit options with a faculty adviser or program director prior to initiating the process.
Immaculata is an official test site for the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), sponsored by the College Board.
CLEP examinations are held twice a semester at Immaculata University.
2014-2015 Test Dates
Saturday, September 20, 2014 9 am
Saturday, November 8, 2014 9 am
Saturday, March 21, 2015 9 am
Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6 pm
Saturday, June 27, 2015 9 am
Saturday, July 18, 2015 9 am
Registering for CLEP
1) Register for your test through the College Board CLEP website.
2) Mail a $40 check to Immaculata University c/o College of LifeLong Learning, Jane Wilson, PO Box 300, Immaculata, PA 19345. Please enclose the Immaculata CLEP Registration Form.
3) Two weeks prior to your test date you will be emailed a confirmation and directions to Immaculata University. If you register within two weeks of the test date, please call 484-323-3236 to confirm availability.
What CLEP Exams will Immaculata University accept? What score do I need?
Immaculata will grant a maximum of 24 semester hours of credit in the General Examinations. The total number of CLEP credits transferable may not exceed 63 semester hours. Click here to view a full list of CLEP exams that Immaculata University accepts and the required scores.
Frequently Asked Questions
What CLEP exams may be taken to satisfy general elective credits for Immaculata students? All tests are acceptable to fulfill general elective credits. However, students cannot take a CLEP test and receive credit for a class for which they have already received credit on their transcript.
Do I need to be an Immaculata University student to take a CLEP exam at Immaculata? Immaculata University is an open CLEP site. You do not need to be an Immaculata University student to take a CLEP exam at Immaculata University.
I am signed up for a CLEP test, where do I go? The exams are administered in Loyola Hall. View directions and a map of campus.
I cannot attend the CLEP date I am scheduled for, how do I reschedule? Email Jane Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org, and please indicate which date you will be attending in lieu of your originally scheduled date.
If I do not pass the CLEP exam, can I retake the same exam at the next testing date? CLEP exams may not be retaken within a three month period. This waiting period provides the student an opportunity to spend additional time preparing for the exam or the option of taking a classroom course.
If you have any questions or if you would like to register, contact Jane Wilson, CLEP administrator, at 484-323-3236 or email@example.com.
Credit by Examination
If you have acquired substantial knowledge in certain subject areas, you may request to earn credits by examination. Individual departments may designate certain courses for which you may earn credit by examination, and they will compose and administer an appropriate exam.
You can obtain full instructions for registering for an exam from the Registrar's Office or from the College of LifeLong Learning. A fee is charged for earning credits by examination.
For assistance, please contact Mary Kate Commiskey, Assistant Director, Academic Support Services and Veterans Administration Certifying Official, at 484-323-3242 or firstname.lastname@example.org.