IU History

You are here

Immaculata University (IU) is a Catholic, comprehensive, coeducational institution of higher education, founded by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary as Villa Maria College in 1920. The growth of Immaculata University over the past century has been gradual, yet consistent. The initial 198 campus acres have grown to approximately 373, and the two original dormitory-classroom structures are now part of a complex of 16 principal buildings representing a multi-million dollar investment.

1906
Mother Camilla purchased farmland in Chester County as the future site for Villa Maria Hall

1908
Groundbreaking for Villa Maria

1914
Villa Maria Hall officially opened

1917
Post office opened in Villa Maria College (later changed to Immaculata Post Office)

1920
Mother Loyola received permission from Archdiocese of Philadelphia to found a college
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania granted charter on November 12, 1920, making it the first Catholic college for women in the Philadelphia area.
Mother M. Loyola became first president of Villa Maria College

1921
Villa Maria College opened on September 21, 1921

1925
First Commencement of Villa Maria College, with eight lay graduates and five IHM Sisters

1928
Accreditation by Middle States Association

1929
Formal change of name from Villa Maria to Immaculata College, to accommodate government regulations for the naming of the post office.
Rev. Dr. Anthony Flynn named president of Immaculata College

1930
Dietetic Program approved by the American Dietetic Association

1934
First issue of The Immaculatan newspaper published

1935
Rev. Monsignor Vincent Burns named president of Immaculata College

1936
Rev. Dr. Francis Furey named president of Immaculata College

1943
Accelerated degree program offered to enable students to receive degrees more quickly because of war  

1945  
Establishment of the Father Gillet Cancer Research Unit (terminated in 1974)

1946
Rev. Msgr. Vincent Burns returned to serve as president of Immaculata College

1949
Field House built

1950
Bethany (a practice house for Home Economics students) opened

1953
Approval of four-year program in Elementary Education by the Pennsylvania State Council of Education

1955
Sister Mary of Lourdes named president of Immaculata College

1955
Marian Hall, Gillet Hall, and Good Counsel Hall dedicated

1962
Faculty Center dedicated

1963
Loyola Hall dedicated

1966
Scottish terrier “Mackie” became the school mascot

1967
Field House destroyed by fire

1967
DeChantal Hall dedicated

1969
Evening Division began as a program of continuing education for both men and women in response to the needs of the local community

1970
Alumnae Hall dedicated

1972
Mighty Macs captured the first of three consecutive national women’s college basketball championship titles
Sister Marie Antoine Buggy became president

1973
Initial approval of Early Childhood Teacher Education Program by Pennsylvania Department of Education

1974
Opening of the Early Learning Center (terminated in 2004)

1976
First Immaculata Medal awarded to Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Rose Kennedy, and Mother M. Claudia, IHM           
Renewal of Plan IV Dietetic Program in the areas of General and Clinical Dietetics by the American Dietetic Association

1977
Establishment of Bicultural/Bilingual Studies master’s program (in cooperation with Marywood College)
Approval of Music Therapy Program by American Association for Music Therapy

1980
Permanent approval of Music Therapy Program by American Association of Music Therapy

1982
Sister Marian William Hoben became president

1983
Approval of Master of Arts programs in Counseling Psychology, Educational Leadership/Administration, and Nutrition Education by the Pennsylvania Department of Education

1984
Approval of upper-division Bachelor of Science in Nursing for registered nurses by Pennsylvania Department of Education

1985
National Board of Certified Counselors, Inc. approved Immaculata as a continuing education provider

1987
Approval of School Psychology Certification Program by Pennsylvania Department of Education

1988
Mr. Rogers visited campus as the commencement speaker

1990
Approval of Master of Arts in Music Therapy by the Pennsylvania Department of Education

1991
Approval of Master of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Studies and Master of Arts in the Teaching of Mathematics (MATM)
Approval of graduate-level Elementary Certification Program
Initial approval of Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.)
Initial approval of Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership/Administration (Ed.D.)

1992
Sister Marie Roseanne Bonfini became president

1993
Gabriele Library opened
Doctoral program in Educational Leadership offered

1994
Final approval of Psy.D. in clinical psychology

1995  
Establishment of ACCEL (Accelerated Continuing and Experiential Learning) programs, an innovative mode of delivery for working adults

1996
First doctoral degrees conferred (August 1995/May 1996)     

1997
Final approval of Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership and Administration

1999
Approval of Master of Arts in Organization Leadership

2000
Initial approval from the Pennsylvania Department of Education for program in School Psychology leading to Doctor of Psychology
Immaculata adopted a three-college organizational structure, composed of the Women's College, the College of LifeLong Learning, and the College of Graduate Studies

2002
Approval of Health Care specialization by Pennsylvania Department of Education
Accreditation of B.S.N. by National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
Immaculata granted status as a university by Pennsylvania Department of Education
Sister R. Patricia Fadden became president

2004
Master of Science in Nursing established

2005
Immaculata University's traditional undergraduate college went co-ed, and Women's College became the College of Undergraduate Studies
Approval of Professional Educator programs by Pennsylvania Department of Education (2005-2010).

2006
Draper-Walsh Stadium dedicated
Accreditation of Master of Science in Nursing by Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).

2007
Mac, a descendant of the first Scottie dog mascot, Mackie, became the new mascot of Immaculata University

2008
Initial approval of M.A. in Applied Communication by Pennsylvania Department of Education
Cathy Rush, coach of the Mighty Macs championship teams, inducted into Basketball Hall of Fame

2009
Approval of generic four-year pre-licensure B.S.N. by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing

2011
Initial approval of Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Higher Education by Pennsylvania Department of Education
The feature film The Mighty Macs opened nationwide, telling the story of the 1972 Mighty Macs' first national women's college basketball championship

2012
Lettiere Admissions and Financial Aid Center dedicated

2014
Approval of M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Approval of M.A./Ed.S. in School Psychology
Mighty Macs championship teams 1972-1974 inducted into Basketball Hall of Fame

1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA. 19345
p. 610-647-4400 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY
Federal Compliance Links | Clery
Copyright ©2014 All Rights Reserved

1145 King Road, Immaculata, PA. 19345 p. 610-647-4400 or call toll-free: 1-877-42 TODAY
Immaculata University | Copyright ©2014 All Rights Reserved | Federal Compliance Links | Clery