Ph.D., Organization and Management, Capella University, 2007
M.B.A., Finance Concentration, University of Kansas, 1982
B.S., Special Education, George Peabody College of Vanderbilt University, 1979
Formerly A.S.A. (American Society of Appraisers designation) in discipline of Business Valuation
I ignite a hunger for learning by inspiring students and inviting them to actively engage in their learning process. My highly experiential courses integrate a theoretical foundation with business-environment facilitated sessions to meet learning objectives and enhance retention. Technology integrated into the learning experience supports student competency and proficiency development. Teamwork experiences include team building, team contract, phased deliverable assignments, and project management.
Dr. Fitzwater is chair of the Business and Accounting Department of Immaculata University and has taught at the University since 2003. She teaches strategy, ethics, accounting and finance courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. She also provides strategy and leadership consulting services to not-for-profit organizations, often incorporating Appreciative Inquiry.
Dr. Fitzwater had a 22-year corporate career prior to joining academia, including serving as chief financial officer/chief information officer of a regional property casualty insurer, Monroe Guaranty Insurance Company; strategy and business process engineering consultant with Pinkerton Associates; assistant vice president of strategic planning and assistant treasurer of USF&G Corporation; and corporate securities appraiser with Hempstead and Company.
Other Professional Experience:
- Strategy and leadership consultant
- Chief Financial Officer/Chief Information Officer/Treasurer, Monroe Guaranty Insurance Company/FCCI Insurance Group, 1999 – 2001
- Senior Consultant, Pinkerton Scientific Computer Consultants Inc., 1998 – 1999
- Assistant Vice President, Claim Business Development, USF&G Corporation/The St. Paul Companies 1996 – 1998
- Assistant Vice President, Strategic Planning Department; Special Project Management, Field Operations; Assistant Treasurer – Capital Management; Financial Manager; and Senior Financial Analyst, USF&G Corporation 1988 – 1996
- Consultant/Corporate Securities Appraiser, Hempstead & Co., Incorporated, 1985 – 1988
- Staff Analyst for Board of Finance, City of Stamford, Connecticut, 1983 – 1985
- Eastern Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) Regional conference, November 11-12, 2011 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania
- “Sustaining Excellence through Quality Business Education.” Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs Annual Conference, June 15-18, 2012 in Baltimore, Maryland.
- “Practical Advice and Model Practices in Church Finances,” Finance and Property Symposium. March 26, 2011. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- “Racing to Succeed” conference hosted by Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. June 24-26, 2011. Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Fall Conference, Eastern Council of Business Schools and Programs. November 12-14, 2010. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
- “Recognizing Excellence in Business Education” conference hosted by Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, June 25-28, 2010. Los Angeles, California.
- Future Business Leaders of America Region 9 Leadership Conference - Judge. Immaculata University, January 6, 2009.
- “Policy Lessons from the Economic and Financial Crisis” hosted December 4, 2009. Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- “Conceptualizing Conscious Capitalism” Conference hosted May 28-29, 2009 by Bentley University, Massachusetts.
- “Ethical Uses of Information in an Online World” SEPCHE Conference, May 13, 2009. Lafayette Hill, PA.
- “Essential Tools for Leading the Academic Department” Sixth annual Department/Division Chair Workshops, The Council of Independent Colleges, May 30-June 1, 2007. Philadelphia, PA.
- Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants 2006 Education Symposium, November 17, 2006, Harrisburg, PA.
- “Assessment: Enhancing Teaching - Enhancing Learning” SEPCHE Conference: May 16, 2007. Lafayette Hill, PA.
- Immaculata Leadership Institute, Catholic Hero’s Journey, Malvern, Pennsylvania, August 2006.
- Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching Teaching. Towson, Maryland, April 2004.
- Vestry, Church of the Good Samaritan, Paoli, PA (2008 – present). Finance Warden/Treasurer (2011 – present). Finance Committee, Investments Committee, Human Resources Committee, Property Committee, Transition Committee.
- Stewardship ministry leader, Church of the Good Samaritan (2009 – 2011)
- Chair of women’s retreat committee (2008, 2009, 2010). Led development of three-day retreats with teaching, activities and facilities arrangements attended by 120-150 women. “My God is Too Small: A Fresh Perspective to a Bigger God” 2008; “Rhythms of Grace” 2009; “Wonders in the Impossible” 2010.
- Strategic planning task force chair (2008 – 2009) for Church of the Good Samaritan plan development
- Women’s retreat speaker and facilitator (2007)
- Planning processes task force, Church of the Good Samaritan (2007)
- ACC 201 Accounting and Budgeting
- FIN 301 and 302 Accounting for Financial Managers I and II
- ACC 203 and 204 Principles of Accounting I and II
- ACC 317 Cost Accounting
- BUS 302 Personal Finance
- FIN 303 Corporate Finance
- FIN 306 Money and Banking
- FIN 362 Introduction to Finance
- FIN 367 International Finance
- FIN 368 Advanced Corporate Finance
Strategy and Management
- BUS 338 Business Ethics
- BUS 365 Strategic Planning
- BUS 340/MKT 350 E-Commerce/E-Marketing
- BUS 327 Managing Business Information Systems
- MKT 309 Marketing Principles and Practices
- ECO 202 Microeconomics
- FIN 340 Strategic Financial Planning
- Strategic Planning and Change Management
Dr. Fitzwater’s research interests are in the areas of business ethics, strategy and corporate social responsibility. Her research of the website messages about corporate social responsibility has tracked the emergence of this area of reporting, its link to business strategy and overall messages companies convey.
- Kasala, M.E. & Fitzwater, C.Y. (March, 2010). Nothing new under the sun? Using traditional research frameworks in web site content analysis. Merlin Institute Conference “Qualitative research in web 2.0: The next leap!” Berlin, Germany.
- Editor feedback for text revision: Jennings, M.A. Business Ethics Eighth Edition, South-Western Cengage Learning (November, 2009).
- Fitzwater, Charlene Y., & Faunce, E.G. (2008). FIN 340 Strategic Financial Planning Adult Learner and Facilitator Guide Rewrite. Immaculata, PA: Immaculata University.
- Fitzwater, Charlene Y. (2007) Website messages about corporate social responsibility: Developing grounded theory on the presentation of corporate citizenship in the banking and computer hardware manufacturing industries. Ann Arbor, MI: ProQuest Information and Learning Company. UMI 3263161.
- Editor, Fitzwater, Charlene Y. (2006). FIN 301 Accounting for Financial Managers I Adult Learner and Facilitator Guides. Immaculata, PA: Immaculata University.
- Fitzwater, Charlene Y. (2004). FIN 340 Strategic Financial Planning Adult Learner and Facilitator Guides. Immaculata, PA: Immaculata University.
- Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
- Philly Ad Club